Re: generating a manual from annotations in source code

If we are talking about a reference manual describing the way the
implementation works, as I think we are, I suggest to borrow from
Haskells literate style.

In literate Haskell files code is specifically marked. A '>' in the
first column of a line marks this line as code. Alternatively,
\begin{code} and \end{code} mark a section of code. This makes it very
convenient to document the whole program using LaTeX and run the exact
same files through LaTeX producing the documentation or through the
compiler producing the executable.

Marko