Re: difficulty of writing translators

At 08:54 PM 7/15/98 , Jim Blandy wrote:
>Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:
>> > python,
>>
>> Python has, AFAIK, a straightforward syntax and very clean semantics
>> from a Schemish point of view. One thing I've heard that may be tricky
>> is that lambda in Python does not create proper closures; OTOH I hope
>> no one depends on this behavior.

I don't think that elisp has proper closures either. Well, it did not have
them in emacs 19, but this might have changed.

>> > tcl (without tk),
>>
>> Tcl sucks because the only Tcl datatype is a string. Language
>> primitives will automatically treat strings as numbers, lists,
>> booleans, or code to be evaluated as appropriate.
>
>Yep.  Keep in mind that we only have to make the boundary between
>Scheme and Tcl convenient, not perfect.  There will be much oddity
>here.

Hmmm.... just because the target language passes things around as strings
does not mean that the host has to do the same thing especially for
primative sorts of things like for math support etc. Am I missing something
here?

\p
--
I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the
intolerant, and kindness from the unkind, yet, I'm ungrateful