Anonymous CVS access to Guile sources

You can now access the latest Guile sources via anonymous CVS.
Nightly snapshots are no longer available as tar files.

Below is guile-core/ANON-CVS, which gives the details.  Please report
any problems you have, so I can make the "Questions" section below
more helpful.

Anonymous CVS access to Guile ========================================

We make the current Guile sources available via anonymous CVS.  Please
keep in mind that these sources are strictly experimental; they will
usually not be well-tested, and may not even compile on some systems.
They may contain interfaces which will change.  They will usually not
be of sufficient quality for use by people not comfortable hacking the
innards of Guile.  Caveat!

However, we're providing them anyway for several reasons.  We'd like
to encourage people to get involved in developing Guile.  People
willing to use the bleeding edge of development can get earlier access
to new, experimental features.  Patches submitted relative to recent
sources will be easier for us to evaluate and install, since the
patch's original sources will be closer to what we're working with.
And it allows us to start testing features earlier.

Nightly FTP snapshots are no longer available.  It is more difficult
than you might think to make them reliably.

To check out a CVS working directory:

1) Install CVS version 1.9 or later on your system.
2) Log into the CVS server:
     $ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@egcs.cygnus.com:/egcs/carton/cvsfiles login
   Use the password `anoncvs'.
3) Check out a module:
     $ cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@egcs.cygnus.com:/egcs/carton/cvsfiles checkout guile-core
   This should create a new directory `guile-core' in your current
   directory, and populate it with the current Guile sources.

Once you have a working directory, you can bring it up to date easily
and efficiently:

1) Go to the top directory of the source tree.  That is, your current
   directory should be the one containing `configure.in', `README',
   and so on.
2) Do the update:
     $ cvs update

This will incorporate any changes the developers have made to Guile
since your last update into your source tree.

The EGCS Project is kindly lending us space, time, and bandwidth on
their CVS server.  Thanks, folks!

Questions ============================================================

(I don't know if they'll be "frequently asked" or not yet!)

- It takes forever to do an update; what can I do to speed it up?

  CVS tries to be smart about what it sends; it will transmit and
  install only those files that have changed, and will sometimes
  transmit and apply patches instead, to save transmission time.

  It is also possible to have CVS compress transmitted data, using zlib.
  Put the following line in your ~/.cvsrc file:

  cvs -z 9

  See the CVS documentation for more details.

- What happens if I've changed files in my working directory, and then
  I do an update?

  If you have made local changes to your sources, the `cvs update'
  command will not overwrite them; instead, CVS will try to merge its
  changes with your changes, as if you had applied a patch.  Rejects are
  marked in the sources.

- Why does the build process try to run autoconf, aclocal, or automake?

  It shouldn't; if it does, that's a bug, I think.  Those are the
  tools we use to generate `configure', `aclocal.m4', and the
  `Makefile.in' files from their respective sources.  Ideally, you
  shouldn't need to have them installed, if you don't want to change
  those sources.  If you do, see the section in `README' called
  `Hacking It Yourself'.