Re: Oleo with guile

rlb@cs.utexas.edu writes:
> Klaus Schilling <Klaus.Schilling@home.ivm.de> writes:
>
> > How far should the usage of Scheme go? Should it only replace the native
> > .rc -files of an application, or should a great deal C-code be replaced with
> > Scheme scripts as well? Which role does the module system and hobbit play
> > when it comes to guilification of application software?
>
> Well, I'm incorporating guile into GnuCash.  It'll handle command line
> parsing, config files, and usage message generation in the short term.
>
> In the long term, we plan to use it in a very emacsish fashion to have
> all kinds of hooks to hang user (and application) actions off of.  And
> I also want to be able to handle non-GUI things like
>
>   $ register-cron-monthly 15th << EOS
>   gnucash -e '(gnc:register-transaction
>                 (gnc:acct-lookup "Salary")
>                 (gnc:acct-lookup "Checking")
>                 "Paycheck"
>                 42.00)'
>   EOS
>
> The exact details may vary, and there would be more fields, but you
> get the idea...
>
> The core of GnuCash is written in C with a stable Motif/Lestif front
> end, and a Gtk/GNOME front end in development.  For those curious
> GnuCash is the successor to xacc.  We need some good developers, and
> I'm short of time (I'm the only one working on the guile stuff), so if
> you're interested...

I'd love to work on the Guile stuff. I am very interested in
applications tightly integrating Guile (scwm was originally just an
experiment in that direction but has since gotten a bit out of hand)
and in Gnome and this seems like a good way to apply my
skills. Unfortunately, I will have no time for the next month and a
half or so, but after that I will definitely sub to the list. I'm
always looking for ways to make the `u' in Guile come true...

 - Maciej