Re: CVS script

lutterdc@cs.purdue.edu (David Lutterkort) writes:

> I have the impression that most of this functionality can be
> obtained from scsh's file-match. scsh also contains a very nice glob
> function. I think it would be much better to integrate scsh with
> guile more tightly than starting to write a library from scratch (1)
> because scsh is very well designed (2) it's kind of a semi-standard
> for shell-like things in scheme and (3) part of the integration with
> guile has been done already.

Um, yes.  I hastily posted some workhorse code I had around from the
bad old days pre guile-scsh.

> What I miss the most and what keeps me the most from using scsh more
> in scripts is that the guile-scsh port is not modularized, so even
> if you need only file-match and glob, you have to load all of scsh
> (and globbing doesn't use all that much process-control stuff). I
> once had a stab at putting scsh into modules but gave up, since I
> decided to wait for Godot :)

Yes, if Gary Houston is no longer maintaining the code, someone should
start working on it!  In particular, partitioning the guile-scsh code
into modules should be manageable task.

> To make a long story short: I think a good implementation of scsh in guile
> would really help it for all kinds of scripting tasks.

I couldn't agree more.  Maybe I'll take a look at the guile-scsh code
and see how hard it would be to split it up into modules...

-russ

--
Linux: For IQ's higher than 95.