Re: Can the Guile library be reentrant

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998, Telford Tendys wrote:

> As I said above, the real promise made by the user is not to use
> SCM values after the function returns. OK, I'll buy your argument
> about bugs being blamed on guile and trouble comming from installing
> traps and gotchas and users getting frustrated by complicated and non-portable
> APIs. _HOWEVER_, if the users of guile are so foolish that you can't
> trust them with a simple thing like, ``don't use SCM values after this
> returns,'' then where exactly is this project headed?

That's useful to know; I hadn't known the reson for exit vs. return
before. It seems to be causing me problems as I try to run Guile in one
thread of a multi-threaded program; when the guile-thread finishes, it
takes down the whole program.

I eagerly await the day when Guile does POSIX threads (but I'm not
complaining, since I don't have the background to help).

- Eric