Re: Can the Guile library be reentrant

Jim Blandy wrote:

> > The problem comes up when porting to that obscure operating system:
> > Windows.  Windows (at least under the MFC package) requires the main
> > program to *RETURN* to the operating system, and not sit in an event loop.
> > All interaction then occurs with messages that are sent to the application.
> > I know that Tk cannot be run under MFC on Windows (it can run as a non-MFC
> > application).  I suspect that GTK is the same.
>
> Okay.  So in other words, you have no control over the `main'
> function: Windows calls your initialization function, which must
> return before the world begins to operate.  Is that what you mean?

MFC has a huge flaw: It doesn't integrate very smoothly with
non-MFC-derived libraries. Microsoft wants people to adopt MFC as their
only application platform and build on top of that. You have to resort
to some crufty and inelegant hacking in order to get many libs -- not
just Guile -- that aren't MFC-derived to work well inside your program.
If you're going to write a Windows app that involves Guile, you'd best
resort to using straight Win32. You'd best resort to Win32 for *any*
Windows app! You' best to not using Windows... oh, why go on? I think
you get the point. :)

Jeff Read <bitwize@geocities.com>/ http://genpc.home.ml.org
Unix / Linux / Windows Hacker,  / Boycott Microsoft!
Anime & Sonic Fan,             / Use Linux/GNU!
All Around Nice Guy           / Let's keep the Net and the Land FREE!