The taming of gh_eval_str()

I'm still trying to pound guile into my code, with various frustrations.

At the moment, I have guile successfully starting up in an isolated
thread, and evaluating strings passed to it by other threads. I'm having
two straightforward (I hope) problems:

1) Passing garbage input to gh_eval_str() causes guile to spit out an
error and *exit*, thus taking down my entire server. This is not desirable
behavior. What is the proper way to trap/display such errors and avoid
termination?

2) Is there a nice (i.e., already coded by you wonderful people :))  way
to get a string (char*) representation for an arbitrary SCM, or do I have
to test to see what type of data it is and do the conversions myself? I'd
hate to duplicate effort.

Sorry if either of these is documented; I looked in guile-doc but didn't
find anything.

Thanks,

Eric