Re: guile: going the way of DEATH

Alexander L. Belikoff wrote:

> 1. Tcl is a *small* library, which is critical for an extension
>    language: libtcl.so is ~400K. Guile is very big - current version
>    of libguile.so is more than 1Mb - almost three times as big as
>    libtcl.

Surprise! Have you tried stripping libguile.so on version 1.2? When
stripped it comes out to under 400K.

>    So far, the most obvious and attractive choice is GTK. It is stable
>    enough, it is THE GNU GUI toolkit, and it is supposed to be a GUI
>    of forthcoming GNU Desktop - Gnome.

Surprise again! Guile/GTK bindings are inside GNOME.... and I think
they're now also available separately. They actually work quite well...
the GNOME folks have chosen Guile to be its extensibility language so it
can't be *that* bad :)

If I were you I'd give Guile another chance before pronouncing its doom.
Jeff Read <bitwize@geocities.com>/ http://genpc.home.ml.org
Unix / Linux / Windows Hacker,  / Boycott Microsoft!
Anime & Sonic Fan,             / Use Linux/GNU!
All Around Nice Guy           / Let's keep the Net and the Land FREE!