Re: guile: going the way of DEATH

    Russell> This is a factual error.  Mark Galassi took considerable
    Russell> care when designing the gh_ API, which is the application
    Russell> writer's C level interface to Guile.  This interface has
    Russell> changed very little since it was defined.  And IMHO the
    Russell> gh_ interface is logical.  Please share a contradictory
    Russell> example.  [later mail has an example, which is a lacuna,
    Russell> though is not quite illogical]

I appreciate Russell's defense of the gh_ interface.  A more honest
statement is that I am not a language implementor at all, and my first
stab at gh_ was reflected a lot of ignorance: it was just what I
wanted for my own application :-).

I got many comments from Mikael and others, and have cleaned it up
over some iterations.  It needs another pass for sure.  Since it is
mostly documented in its own chapter of the reference manual, I invite
someone to propose stuff.  Keep in mind that the ice-9 loading issue
is addressed by Maciej's (spelling?) proposals.

I do not address smobs because I am quite happy to work with R4RS
scheme.  Still, I think there should be gh_ hooks for a type system,
since most people seem to disagree with me.

But I think that Alexander's comment on gh_ is reasonably fair because
he was talking about version 1.2.  He might tone it down a bit with
the pre-1.3 releases.

jimb has already addressed (and broadly agreed with) most of
Alexander's other points.