Re: SCWM's embedded docs/text proc benchmarks/perl's 10x faster than guile.

    >> >    Per> features (that people these days *expect*) that info
    >> >    Per> does not handle.
    >> >
    >> > please elaborate.
    >>
    >> Graphics, math, colors, fonts.  I agree fonts are a frill for
    >> most documentation, but they make the docuemntation look both
    >> nicer and more readable,

    Tel> Fonts are supported in texinfo but only where it suits the

Tel, you are switching from discussing texinfo to discussing info.
They are quite different: info is dumb-terminal only, and that's
probably what Per is talking about.

    Tel> Graphics would be nice but aren't essential. Math is also
    Tel> nice but you have to convert the equations to ASCII sometime
    Tel> in order to program them. Full fledged derivations and proofs
    Tel> don't belong in the online documentation, they belong in
    Tel> journal articles or at least something that is going to be
    Tel> printed and studied.

Note that there is math support in TeXinfo (written by Brian Gough for
GSL), but it is not yet in the main distribution (waiting for
paperwork).

Equations are essential for documentation of scientific packages.