Re: SCWM's embedded docs/text proc benchmarks/perl's 10x faster than guile.

Telford Tendys <telford@triangle.triode.net.au> writes:

> > All linux docs these days are Docbook.
>
> give more information on this please...
> I assume that docbook files have an .sgml extension and a tag
> that looks like: <!doctype linuxdoc system>
> I have noticed a few of these around but linux documentation
> includes HOWTO docs, man pages, the /usr/info tree,
> the tree under /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ and probably
> some scattered others too (such as embedded docs).

Actually, if you read the prefaces to the HOWTOs or the (HOWTO-HOWTO)
they are written in docbook.  They are conventionally distributed in
friendlier formats (flat ASCII comes to mind).  I suppose most
distributions have the sources for these, kept the same places they
keep the GCC source.

> Does anyone really believe that these all have docbook source
> on some mysterious server somewhere?

The /usr/info tree doesn't; right now, we can't go docbook->info.  The
kernel docs are just random text.  But the kernel docs can't be used to
produce a book, so they're kind of out of the running.  The info tree
comes from texinfo.  Most new software is getting docbook docs (or raw
HTML) while the GNU projects tend to have texinfo.

Andrew