Re: [bug] readline completion

karlheg@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  What do the other folks in this mailing list do and study?  What do
> yous use guile for?  What do you program with it?  I'm very curious.
> Will I be able to land a job someday for knowing a lot about this
> stuff?  Doing what?

i pick an application and write it, with reference material around.  as
i go along, i begin to recognize (my) misunderstandings and (others')
idioms.  gist: write some code; book learning can only take you so far.
i would also recommend reading other people's code.  currently, i'm
trying to unravel SIMSYNCH by SCM author Aubrey Jaffer.

as for being able to land jobs, IME it is possible.  you will probably
want to concentrate on developing your personal app domain expertise and
just collect Scheme as yet-another-hackable language.  knowledge of
Scheme in and of itself doesn't help much (ymmv).

<non-guile-rambling> btw, inetarena is an interesting place.  i've
stopped in there a couple times when in oregon.  the proprietor, on the
other hand, i don't understand; when asked: "when are you going to have
linux boxes in here?", he sneered and said something like "we don't do
linux".  <shrug>  must be the proximity to redmond....
</non-guile-rambling>

thi