Re: Another use for Guile/Scheme/Lisp

> The protocol allows one to extend the functionality of a peer (by
> defining new procedures in the peer) without having to revise the
> communication specification.  Using this you could reduce the
> bandwidth between peers by creating high enough abstractions.  The
> caveat being that the core functions are sufficient.  However with ffi
> abilities even this can be got around.

This is one of my favorite ideas.  Does anyone remember NeWS?  *sigh*

One disadvantage is that new implementations of servers become pretty
complicated, since the protocol is an entire language.  Guile makes
that easier, but...

The server must ensure that the client doesn't chew on the server's
CPU, but that's not too hard to limit.  What seems hard to me is
limiting the client's consumption of server memory; it seems too
limiting to impose a fixed quota on the client --- what if the user
sends a valid, but very large, request?  I guess you could just force
people to write clients that coped with that.