Re: Slow regexps.

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

 > Using an opaque type to let Scheme manipulate the return value from
 > scm_regexp_exec might save some time, but opaque types are not really
 > free --- they create a learning requirement that simply using the
 > obvious structures does not, they require a new set of primitives,
 > which had better be complete and convenient, etc.
 >
 > I'd want to see some profiling results before I accepted a change like
 > this.

The cheap answer is that my heavily optimized extract.scm is still >
5x slower than the perl version & is spending the bulk of its time in
regexp crap.  I had to throw out regexp-substitute/global because it
was too slow to get this close.  Not to mention that straight regexp
stuff is 5x slower in guile than in perl, & >10x slower than in awk.

Or did you mean that you wanted to whether or not this was where the
regexp time was being lost...

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research