Re: A new module system for Guile

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> For a while, I've been leaning towards something
> backwards-compatible with Scheme 48's module system, because it was
> designed by people with experience and good taste, and for
> compatibility with SCSH.

I agree with you assessments of the Scheme 48 module system, and the
desire to be compatible with Scsh.

But please, please, please let's ask the MzScheme and Rice people for
their ideas also.  In particular, it will be interesting to know why
the module systems that were developed for each of these systems made
the design choices that they did.

For example, influential people have suggested to me that the MzScheme
module systems better supports separate compilation than the Scheme48
module system.  We should investigate issues like this thoroughly
before jumping for a particular module system.

$0.02.

-russ

--
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million
 typewriters, and Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare."