Re: Motif or GTK?

Chris.Bitmead@misys.com.au writes:

> When I said I was planning on building a Motif/Lesstif interface to
> Guile, some people suggested that perhaps I should use GTK
> instead. I rejected that idea out of hand. My apologies to those
> people...

Well, I agree that GTK is nice.  There is already a sophisticated
guile-gtk interface around somewhere, though, so you might want to
take a look for it in the usual places, and contribute to that
project.

> The question now arises for me - whether I should continue to port
> Motif to Guile, or whether instead, I should port my applications to
> GTK.

Motif, for all it's problems, is a standard GUI toolkit for Unix.  So
I think it is still useful to have a guile interface for Motif (I for
one would use it).  There is no longer a big problem with Motif being
non-free, thanks to Lesstif.

> I had always assumed that Motif/Lesstif must be the right thing
> partly because having a standard way to make all widgets work
> together must be a good thing (Xt) and Motif was a standard. Now I'm
> starting to wonder, especially since I noticed Netscape is moving to
> GTK.

The right thing is a relative thing.  Do you want to work on a Motif
interface for guile?  If so, then it's the Right Thing (tm).
Otherwise, I'm sure guile-gtk could use another enthusiastic
contributor.

-russ

--
October.  This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to invest
in stocks.  The others are July, January, September, April, November,