Re: gc notes available

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> When one designs a program, there's an enormous difference between
> best effort and real time.  So it's very distracting to me when you
> say that we need real time behavior to support the applications
> above,

I am aware of the term "real time system".  As you point out, when I
talk about "real time behaviour" I'm not referring to the behaviour of
a "real time system".  I used the term sloppily to mean "roughly
predictable execution time for most procedure calls", which,
specifically, excludes longer GC breaks.  "Real time behaviour", in my
sense, makes it possible to write code controlling things which happen
in "real time" in the user interface.

I realize that this can be confusing so I'll switch to some other
term.