Re: gc notes available

>3. Emacs has a non generational GC that's on the slow side.  Does its
   pauses >cause a significant degradation of it's UI?

If you use the GNUS news reader to read big news groups, I think the answer
   is
"yes".

>4. I wrote a tetris game for STk.  It has a non generational
   >conservative GC.  The pauses are unnoticable because I increased
   >the heap allocation at the beginning & call gc at times when it
   >won't be noticable to the user.

What if a Tetris player comes along who is more skillful than you? :-)

>6. How often do you have to wait for programs to do things in general?
   >I often have to wait for netscape, make, gcc, ... and none of them
   >have gc.  Why is waiting for gc a big deal, but waiting for DNS
   resolution, or >page formatting, or anything else acceptable?

Good point. Maybe it's because the problem is less predictable. In
Netscape,
we know what sort of things will cause a delay and we are accepting of
that. But
when any random event can cause a delay it seems to be more irritating.