Re: M17N

Jim Blandy writes:

 > My comments here are tentative; there's a lot here I haven't thought
 > through yet.
 >

 > > I tried Guile 1.3 and found that multi-byte strings had been
 > > removed.  How does Guile plan for the internationalization or
 > > multilingualization now?
 > >
 > > I prefer the Emacs-style multi-byte strings.  Does anyone plan
 > > for that?
 >
 > I don't know; it's a big mess.  I removed the old multi-byte support
 > because it seemed to me to be a bad approach to the problem.
 >
 > I dislike the way Emacs handles multi-byte strings, because it seems
 > to me that it requires every piece of code which wants to manipulate
 > strings to understand N different character sets.  Any approach to
 > multi-lingual support should use a single, canonical encoding
 > throughout the system.

Won't the GNU Emacs switch to Unicode after 21.0 anyways?

 > My favorite candidate for that single, canonical encoding is UTF-8,
 > and Unicode.  I realize Unicode is unpopular in Japan, but I've never
 > been given any convincing explanation for this.

Would it make sense to provide some lib-copylefted portable unicode lib, as
part of or separated from GNU libc, so that the many languages that have free
implementations don't have to reinvent it  each time and bloat on the way,
once they start to support unicode?

		Klaus Schilling