Re: use-syntax: use-reader?

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:

> How is a reader for a different language supposed to hook into Guile?
>
> use-syntax seems to just be a way to transform expressions after they
> are read by the normal reader. Am I incorrect in this impression?

Yes.

> If not, what is the kosher way, if any, to use an alternate
> reader?

There is currently no way to tell that a module uses another reader.

This is one of the things which will be solved in the new module
system.

What should we do until then?

Well, note that we need a scheme reader to parse the module
definition, so we should probably make a "proxy module":

  (define-module (my-package my-module)
    :use-module (used-package used-module))

  <machinery for loading of forreign code>

/mdj