Re: the default script environment

Mikael Djurfeldt writes:
 > Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:
 >
 > > Based on a recent discussion on the bug-guile mailing list, I'd like
 > > to present two ideas, and hear people's arguments for and against.
 >
 > To me, your arguments for alternative 2 seems stronger.  I vote for
 > this alternative (that the REPL environment should be different from
 > the script environment and that the script environment should be
 > slim).
 >
 > One of the stronger arguments is portability: It should be possible to
 > use a Guile script in any environment, regardless of what .guile says.

In addition, stack overflows should be avoided. These are likely to occur in
a hard to debug manner when modules are preloaded and later on the script
loads other modules that depend on shared system libraries that are already
linked. I got that problems with experimental wrappers over the gsl libs
and with an experimental termcap module (which overrflowed when the readline
module was preloaded).

       Klaus Schilling