Re: square root (Re: guile & r5rs)

>   (2) Tel's code is less memory-intensive (SZ = 3M), but slower
>   (root-test modified to take the sqrt procedure as argument)

Mine needs a better initial estimate, something like what Radey was
doing with integer-length. That should cut the iterations down.
I'm a bit unsure about the best way to do this.

>   guile> (root-test 1000 square-root)
>   #t
>   ;;; 92950  msec  (34280 msec in gc)

The garbage collection is quite high here which puzzles me because
I don't understand where my code is generating garbage, it just sets
some local variables and tail-chains. The same closure should be
holding all the local variables for all iterations. Roland stated that
this was done with debugging turned off so it shouldn't be going into
stack tracing. Why is it generating so much garbage?

	- Tel