Re: What's after guile-1.4? (was: Re: Questions... I am new to scheme)

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

 > > While this is generally true, a smart compiler that does some type
 > > inference can do very well. I believe Stalin is the canonical example.
 > > It supposedly generates better code than good FORTRAN implementations
 > > from some problems, out of Scheme code written in a natural style.
 >
 > Are you *sure* you're talking about stock Scheme code, without special
 > declarations?  If so, then I really want to see that paper.  With
 > declarations, anything is possible.

Yes, it's with stock scheme code & without declarations.  Stalin does
a lot of heavy duty optimizations, especially type inference.  I don't
know if there're associated papers, but there's a compiler.  See
Jeffrey Siskind's home page,
http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi/, and in particular,
http://www.neci.nj.nec.com/homepages/qobi/software.html

--