Re: setf.scm

Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu> writes:

> Of course, the language should be designed for the person writing
> the programs, not the person writing the language... but large
> languages are hard for the programmer to work with too.

I would agree with this, except that I would change 'work with' to
'learn'.  Actually large languages tend to produce small programs, and
vice versa (this idea is taken from Kent Pitman).

I recall an example program that Jim Blandy wrote and posted to the
list to do some CVS directory magic, that was over 100 lines.  Someone
posted a perl version less than 1/3 the size, mostly because perl had
a lot of the needed goodies built in.

This is not a defense of perl, but rather an example that I think
demonstrates the point on a small scale.

-russ

--
If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footsteps of giants.