Re: setf.scm

>My understanding of CLOS-like systems is that a generic function is
>a real object.

Anything that appears in the operator position in a Scheme form that is
evaluated must be some sort of procedure object. Either a lambda
expression, a primitive, or I guess an external C function.

So a generic function is only an object in so far as any lambda procedure
is an object. The implementation will probably have a separate object
associated with the generic function which keeps track of how to dispatch
things, and what classes are applicable etc, but that's a separate object.

Or at least, in an implementation which is built from pure R5RS Scheme it
would be a separate object.