Re: AVAIL: guile case-sensitivty patch

Rule #1 when submitting a patch:  Always use diff -u or diff -c.
I recommend diff -up.  Plain diffs are unsafe.

Rule #2 when submitting a patch:  Do not include the ChangeLog
in the diff, since it is likely to not apply as is.  Instead,
just prepend the ChangeLog entry to the front of the diff.

Finally, do not assume that people consider case-sensitivity a
bug to be fixed.  I started out case-folding in Kawa, but switched
to case-preserving by default, because I think it makes more sense
when interfacing to C, C++, Java, Emacs, XML/SGML, file systems
etc.  Hence a patch which changes the default will probably get
rejected.

What I did for Kawa was make case-preserving the default, but I
added the following global variable:

 - Variable: symbol-read-case
     A symbol that controls how `read' handles letters when reading a
     symbol.  If the first letter is `U', then letters in symbols are
     upper-cased.  If the first letter is `D' or `L', then letters in
     symbols are down-cased.  If the first letter is `I', then the case
     of letters in symbols is inverted.  Otherwise (the default), the
     letter is not changed.  (Letters following a `\' are always
     unchanged.)

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner