Re: An insanely slow guile is the latest standard release!

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> I believe that Guile v 1.3 is the one with the read bug causing
> insanely slow startup (even slower than normal, if you can believe
> that).  This is the last official guile release and is getting
> distributed everywhere, built into RPM packages, destined for release
> in the next Redhat distribution, ...
>
> How about releasing a v 1.3.1 with this bug fixed, so that the latest
> standard release is at least usable?

Yeah, and one where you can actually use the number 0.0

Allowing the 1.3 release to live as the current official version is
tantamount to putting your best foot forward after stepping in a big
pile of dog shit. For now, the only real option is to tell anyone
who's making a package for a distribution to use the current cvs
sources, and apply at least the small patch I posted for numbers.c

Chances are, though, that they either won't bother with the hassle,
and either exclude guile, or use 1.3 (and exclusion would be better,
because if a lousy release makes it into RedHat, you can kiss a large
number of linux users goodbye; it's bad enough that there are enough
valid complaints about guile, but keeping a known buggy release out
for this amount of time also makes it look like no one actually cares
that it's lousy).

--
Greg