Re: Lilypond & GUILE: failure report, help!

> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl>
> Hi guys,
>
> I've got some news from the LilyPond front.  I tried to assimilate
> GUILE somewhat further into LilyPond, and I became quite disappointed
> with GUILE's garbage collection system.

Your complaint seems to be that it is slow, why do you blame the GC
specifically?

> BTW, What is the customary "null" value for SCM?  If I simply use 0, I
> get core dumps from the garbage collector.

If by null, you mean how do you know when to quit CDRing down a list,
you stop when you get to the empty list.  Thus '() replaces what
Lisp has traditionaly called NIL.  In C code that would be SCM_EOL.

In any case, I wouldn't worry about speed until it is correct
enough not to crash the GC.  You may be spending 95% of your
time following bad pointers or executing the stack.

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Food, Shelter, Source code.