Re: Guile vs. CORBA for extensibility (Re: Guile scripting host?)

From: Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com>

>On Feb 07, Marisha Ray & Neil Jerram decided to present us with:
>> To finish with a question...  As GNOME matures and CORBA becomes more
widely
>> used, it seems that GNU application developers will have two
possibilities
>> for making their applications extensible and scriptable: Guile and CORBA.
>> How does the developer decide which of these two is more appropriate?
>
>Hmm, they serve two very different purposes. An application that
>wants to be extensible and customizeable should go Guile; an
>application that wants to export some of its functionality
>should go CORBA.

I don't see a clearcut difference between being extensible and customizeable
and wanting to export some functionality.

>Trouble is where the developer wants both -
>like GNOME Panel and Control-center; they want to be extensible
>by independent "applets".

These sound like interesting examples.  Could you elaborate a little?
Perhaps they would clarify the above difference.

>IMHO these applications should go
>_both_ GNOME and Guile, so that other developers have the option
>of writing a (probably compiled) CORBA-client applet or a
>Guile-script one.

So how does an application go both GNOME and Guile at the same time?  I'm
not thinking that it sounds impossible; I'm just curious as to the exact
arrangement that you have in mind.

    Neil