Re: local eval

Thanks to:
Mikael Djurfeldt
Ian Bicking
and
Sascha Ziemann

for the help with local-eval.... the upshot being that you have to use
it like:

(local-eval xyzpdq-expression-goes-here (the-environment))

where in recent versions of guile, the-environment has been defined like
this

(define the-environment
(procedure->syntax (lambda (x env) env)))

and it returns the current environment...

I think I sent a followup to the individuals rather than the list since
there's no "reply-to" field from guile list messages, and I wasn't
paying attention...

knowing how to do local evaluations is clearly a boon for anyone doing
interpreting of different languages from scheme. hope this is helpful to
someone else as well...

I wouldn't mind editing and compiling some more complete docs on the
whole evaluation section of the guile manual, if someone could explain
to me what all the various things did, like procedure->syntax, and
procedure->macro, and procedure->memoizing-macro....

BTW: I finally implemented my code differently so I didn't actually need
the local-eval but still it's nice to know, since metaprogramming is
definitely a useful ability.