Re: libguile and readline

Jim Blandy writes:

 > You may not want to configure Guile to use readline if you are unable
 > to release your program under the GNU General Public License; the
 > readline library is released under the GPL, so anything linked with it
 > must also be distributed under the GPL.
 >
 > Enabling readline support does not significantly increase the size of
 > the Guile library.  Readline itself is a shared library on most
 > systems, and the readline interface code in Guile is less than 3
 > kilobytes long.

Does it enlargen the RAM requirements significantly?
There's also a reason why I don't always want to have the readline when
using the repl of standalone guile: It interferes with terminal settings
and thus make it painful to develop  low-level io utils stuff like termios
and termcap modules for guile.

 > In future releases of Guile, we hope to have the readline support
 > linked into Guile dynamically, if and when you use it.  This would
 > make this configuration option unnecessary; the same Guile library
 > could be used both with and without the readline library.

That'd be my preferred solution. Same is of course valid for a lot of other
stuff that might be useful sometimes, but not always, such as ipc, objects,
signals, uniform arrays, ptys ...
--
Klaus Schilling