Re: Scheme tutorial

"Ian Bicking" <bickiia@earlham.edu> writes:

> I've been thinking about trying my hand at writing a Scheme/Guile
> tutorial.  The usual references to the Little Schemer or the Wizard
> book aren't a good solution, IMHO, because they will put off people
> with casual interest in Guile.
>
> The tutorial I'm thinking about would assume that the reader has
> programmed before, but not in Scheme.
>
> So, a few questions: is anyone working on this?  Are there any
> such Schemey tutorials out there that I haven't seen?  Ones that
> don't start with the much-maligned factorial example?  I haven't
> read through the various Script-Fu tutorials as much as I should,
> but they seem to have the right perspective.

I started something like this for the Scwm project.  I am targetting
non-programmers, too, though (Scheme seems to be at least as easy to
learn for those folks as for previous C programmers).

See ./doc/scwm-intro-tutorial.scm from the Scwm packages available at:

http://vicarious-existence.mit.edu/scwm/

I didn't get very far in this, and it's also meant to be an intro to
Scwm and to the Emacs interface to Scwm.  I think using Scwm as the
application for a tutorial is a big win.  You can do visually
interesting things right away, instead of writing factorial.

I'd love to see someone extend the tutorial I've started.

<snip>

Greg