Re: Guile and Emacs (was Re: Initial projects list)

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se> writes:

> It's wondeful to hear that someone is working on Emacs!
>
> Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:
>
> > I want to run both Scheme and Emacs Lisp code, letting them
> > interoperate.  But the Scheme code should work according to Scheme
> > rules, and Emacs Lisp according to the usual elisp rules.
>
> The idea in Guile is to use Scheme as the "core" language and
> translate other languages into Scheme.

Hmm, I have just started looking at poplog, which is a system built on
top of a 2-level Pop-11 virtual machine which supports Pop-11, full
Common Lisp (with CLOS and Flavours), full Prolog, and full ML, in the
same runtime.  So it has actually accomplished what guile is setting
out to do now.  It did this in the mid 80s.

Pop-11, the base language, is an open stack language that
supports various scoping styles, higher-order procedure, and garbage
collection.  The other languages were not translated into Pop-11
directly and then interpreted, rather they are incrementally compiled
targetting the PVM, the second level VM.  The PVM is sweet because it
allows what they call "code planting" (which I have not quite figured
out) which allowed them to easily extend it to support operations for
the other languages.  The code was then compiled again, targeting the
PIM (Pop Implementation Machine), and then finally that produces
machine code.

just thinking...

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz