Re: Scheme tutorial

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> I think it would be more useful to make (at least one part of) the tutorial
> targeted towards  end-user scripting type tasks - text processing, filesystem
> operations, etc. The Perl/Python/Tcl tutorials would be a better model here
> than CL ones.

It's been a while since I looked at it, but my memory of python's
tutorial was that it didn't cover much useful (so it probably isn't
good to base it on). A scripting oriented bit should definately be
included, though (maybe it should mostly be targeted towards
scripting?). So perhaps some common things, like lowercasing all the
files in a directory and things like that.

> > One thing you definately should make a priority, though, is
> > continuations, since these are probably the hardest thing to figure
> > out for newbies to scheme.
>
> I don't think continuations should be mentioned at all in a tutorial aimed
> at new users. I really doubt they will need them.

I might be thinking of something a bit bigger than what's being
proposed :) They should probably get a mention, though; after all,
they are supposed to be one of scheme's big selling points.

--
Greg