Re: performance

   From: Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se>
   Date: 22 Mar 1999 21:01:42 +0100

   Personally, I almost never need the extra speed but I'm often glad to
   get backtraces, so I'm happy about the debugging evaluator being the
   default one, but you have a point anyway.  It's probably many people
   who just make a quick test and find it slow...

I like the debugging evaluator as the default too (fwiw).

guile prints (or use to print) something like
"Do (debug-enable 'backtrace) if you want to automatically see backtraces."
in error output.

Maybe at the start of an interactive session it could also check
if the debugging evaluator is active and if so print something like
"Do (debug-disable 'debug) if you want to do performance tests."
or whatever.