Re: Pliant

> I'm happy to say that there is now a GPLed next-generation, reflexive,
> syntax-independent language: http://pliant.cams.ehess.fr/
>
> Would you folks please take a look at this site with an open mind, and
> let it influence your actions?

I guess I don't see what's more syntax-independent about Pliant
than Scheme.  The Scheme syntax is almost identicle to a parse
tree, the lowest common denominator of syntax.

Though Guile hasn't been terribly successful at creating and
maintaining alternate syntaxes, I don't think that would be terribly
difficult.  Alternate *semantics* are quite difficult.  Syntax, IMHO, is
not the most important aspect of a language.

All languages have an internal representation -- a parse tree, Java
bytecodes, machine code, strings, or in Scheme's case, lists and
symbols (this may not be the case with every Scheme
implementation, but they hide that fact).  Why is Pliant's internal
representation more neutral than Scheme's?

And from what I can see from the website, Pliant seems to
emphasize efficiency a great deal -- I don't think Guile shares this
emphasis, it is meant as a compliment to more efficient languages
(like C).  Pliant seems to have a quite heavy compiling phase.

>From what I can tell, Pliant nearly ignores the all-important issue of
debugging, taking its inspiration from the Algol languages which
have always had this crazy notion that people can write Correct
programs.  Of course, other people on this list disagree with me on
the importance of debugging...

So, while Pliant looks interesting I don't think it is trying to do the
same thing as Guile.

I do kind of like the Pliant (default) syntax.  Schemey semantics
with a fairly compact syntax.

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>