Re: readline problems

(nobody) writes:

> It's likely that I'm missing something, but it's turning out to be
> tricky to add readline support back into a guile program.  It's not
> just a matter of calling scm_init_readline.  The problem is that
> boot-9 defines the top-repl before any user init functions are called
> and it checks to see if readline is available.
>
> This leads me to some problems I've had to fight with guile's
> initialization:
>
>     -- User initialization functions can only be called after boot-9
>        has been loaded.  This makes it impossible to initialize a
>        readline feature from a user library without also overriding
>        boot-9's (top-repl).  I get around it by copying the relavent
>        sections of boot-9.scm to my-boot-9.scm and loading it in
>        my_init_readline, but it seems clumsy.
>
>     -- Using guile's exported interface it's not possible for an
>        application to substitute it's own init scripts in place of or
>        in addition to .guile.  I manage to force a boot script after
>        boot-9 by munging argv, but that's an iffy solution.
>
> Hopefully I'm doing something wrong and there are easier solutions.

Well, maybe boot-9 should set up code to run in the future using
lambdas plus a hook variable.  When (top-repl) actually *runs* it can
run the hook.  In between, you can put your user initializations.
This requires a reorganization of boot-9, of course.

-russ

--
Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced
with surprising effectiveness.  A genuinely unfashionable opinion is