Re: Guile and --with-readline?

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> The problem is that the sysadmin shouldn't be in the position of
> leading people working with Guile on her system into a copyright
> violation.  The decision to use or not use readline has to be made by
> the end user.

Hmm...  I don't know enough about your copyright law, but it seems to
me that the GPL doesn't talk about the *use* of the program.  Is there
some kind of default protection also for the use just because FSF owns
the copyright?

Otherwise, it seems to me that it would be enough to separate out
libguilereadline from libguile and explicitly link it into the guile
binary.

It would be a copyright violation to explicitly link libguilereadline
into a non-free application, but it wouldn't be a copyright violation
for the innocent use Guile for scripting, or?

/mdj