Re: Is guile byte-code compiled?

forcer <forcer@mindless.com> writes:

> Solving the Queens problem using a R5RS-compliant implementation
> of amb takes 3 seconds in Scheme48 to run. In guile, it takes 33
> seconds.

Hmm...  I think there's a dog buried here.  Could you send me the code
so that I may try to understand why you get this large difference?

> (yes i know that i have to (use-modules (ice-9 regex)) but
> shouldn't guile express the same behaviour wether it's evaluating
> a -s file, a -c expression, or simple input?)

No.  The environment for scripts should be minimal.  The scripts
should themselves ask for required modules.

But the interactive environment should be populated with bindings
which make interaction with Guile easier.

(However, I'm not sure if the regex module should be included in the
 interactive environment.)

Note that it is easy to ask Guile to which module a certain binding
belongs---use apropos.

/mdj