new to guile, how to go ahead ?

Vardhan Varma writes:

 > 	What exactly i should be needing. do i need slib, or is
 > it with guile , or is it not at all needed ?.

Slib is not needed, just comes in handy at one or the other occasion.

 > 	what are the guile functions for, say opendir etc . are they
 > 	'builtin' or seperate modules ?.

Yet they are built in, but should become separated in order to reduce
startup time.

 > 	which is library for x11 ( i saw some lib for scm), ncurses ?

for x11 there's something by julian satchell, dunno where, there's
better support for some X toolkits, especially for gtk by M. Vollmer.
I made something for curses, but it is yet buggy and will soon
become obsoleted when the new garbage collector and interface for
imported datatypes changes.

 > 	is there any relation between scm, rscheme, elk, guile. do
 > 	libraries like slib work on all.( because i saw mention of
 > 	guile in some rscheme library ).

scm is an ancestor of guile. rscheme and elk aren't related, they are
just different implementations of scheme.

 > 	last but not the least, is guile good vehicle  to learn scheme ( i'm
 > conservant with lisp  ).
 >
 > 	Lastly, what are the main point of difference in scheme and lisp.

Scheme uses one namespace for both function and variable identifiers,
adhers closely to the lambda calculus, it distinguishes empty lists
from boolean falseness, and supports first-class continuations.

Klaus Schilling