Guile and SLIB (and modules in general)

Hi,

I've started working through Friedman, Wand and Haynes' _Essentials of
Programming Languages_, and I've been using Guile to work the problems
in the book. But in order to get any farther I need to define some of
the macros they use a lot in the book. Various hints in Dejanews and
the documentation suggest that an implementation of the R4RS/R5RS
define-syntax form is included in SLIB library, and that SLIB is
included with Guile.

This would be great, except that I can't find any documentation about
Guile's module system, so I can't figure out how to turn it on. There
was a brief post in the mailing list archives that said to try using
"(define-module (guile) :use-module (ice-9 slib))", but when I tried
I got this:

guile> (define-module (guile) :use-module (ice-9 slib))
#<module the-root-module 401575d0>
guile> define-syntax
ERROR: In expression define-syntax:
ERROR: Unbound variable: define-syntax
ABORT: (misc-error)

so I am clearly missing something. I'd appreciate any help you can
give. (I am using Guile 1.2 on a SuSE Linux 5.3 system, if that
matters.)

--
Neel Krishnaswami
neelk@alum.mit.edu