Re: Reader option to permit brackets as parentheses

Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:

> On 1 Jul 1999, Craig Brozefsky wrote:
>
> > Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@free-expression.org> writes:
> > >    I can second this.  I find using the square brackets easier to read.
> > > And it's common practice here at IU.
> >
> > Can you give us some coodinates for the B-52s?  We'll just take out
> > the CS Labs and leave the dorms alone.  I reccomend you go off campus
> > for dinner this evening, say around 11pm.
>
>    IU isn't exactly an enemy of Scheme.  It's generally used as the
> introductory language around here.  What's with the vitriol over using
> square brackets?  It helps visually group code.  lets,conds,cases all
> benefit from it (in my opinion).

I think it's called a joke.  Don't take it too seriously.

I personally don't like brackets, but then I'm not you and I'm not
writing your code, so who the hell am I to say?  And as long as I
don't have to read your code, and I don't recall coming across any of
it, I could care less what you use to delimit your s-expressions.  If
your intending your code to be read by others tho, I'd consider either
translating it into all parens before distributing it, just so we can
throw it into a stock scheme implementation.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig