Re: strports

| So I was habing some problems with scwm, and I tracked them down to
| some problems with string ports.  One was a bug in strport.c (patch
| included)

Thanks.

| the other is a more conceptual question.  In scwm they use
| string ports in a couple places, and wind up using various internals
| in order to use them.  What they're using them for is to redirect
| stadard input/error/output, and in any case, it seems it'd be handy to
| have a c-level function for getting the string out of a strport, maybe
| for 1.4 so scwm can use it then :)

That would be worth looking at.

| Which also leads me to ask, why in strports.c does the code use two
| different methods to perform this function?  Looks a little odd to me.

The scm_strprint_obj and scm_call_with_output_port versions?  Probably
my fault, I just converted the existing procs one at a time.  The
scm_strprint_obj version doesn't need to worry about the port being
seeked, but it starts out with a 64 byte string that may need to be
truncated, so it doesn't use SCM_LENGTH.