Re: (seeks while reading) Re: Performance, argh

Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

> Sorry I scrambled the attributions...

>     >> That said, guile does seem to spend an inordinate amount of
>     >> time in system calls (on PPro200, Linux 2.2.x, libc5, with
>     >> guile installed in a directory read via NFS):
>
>     Maciej> That's a lot of access, stat and fstat calls there, and
>     Maciej> those are expensive as syscalls go.
>
> It seems like the file names in the search path could be cached.

I like the idea of using vicinities.  This way when you want to load a
bunch of files at startup, you determine *once* which vicinity to use
then you can load all the files relative to the vicinity.  This is the
approach that slib takes, if I remember correctly.

-russ

--
October.  This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to invest
in stocks.  The others are July, January, September, April, November,