Re: Performance, argh

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:

> IMVHO, Perl and Python have small startup times due to
> "semicompiled" (or byte-compiled or whatever each language calls
> them) modules.

> Still, my point was that loading semicompiled scripts is usually
> faster than parsing source scripts.

This is true but you said that perl has a small startup time due
to semicompiled modules.

At startup time guile and perl don't load modules at all.
The old module system was slow because symbols were looked up by using
first class variables on scheme level and boot-9.scm was huge.

boot-9 doesn't exist anymore and guile now loads scheme code more than
twice as fast as before.  I think that loading a file compiled into
tree-code would not be much faster (factor 1.5 propably).

> A format for semicompiled (or byte-compiled) code. I came up
> with that ugly extension from ".pyc", the extension used by
> Python. ".scmc" implies that it works on scm; ".gscmc" is for
> "Guile Scheme Compiled".

Marius had a solution some time ago.  Now that environments hold tree
code I think it would be easy to dump a loaded module onto disk.

Jost