Re: Upcoming 1.3.2 release

Greg Badros <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> Right-- I'm aware that it'd be a bad idea to call Scheme code from a
> GC-start hook.  We want Scwm to be able to have a hard-coded (in C)
> behaviour (or perhaps several possible behaviours) to convey to the user
> that garbage collection is taking place. E.g.,

The problem isn't so much that it could be problematic to call scheme
code, but pretty much anything in guile is suspect (except scm_cons &
newcell, because we know that'll screw things up). A set of predefined
behaviours could work, but you'd want to watch out for something like
the second, since you can't reliably call things like display & stuff
like that... you could do writes on the underlying fd, if you don't
have to worry about buffering (or don't care about slightly odd
output), though. I'll add a bit to allow registering c functions to
my gc code, but I do think it'd be a really bad idea to add a general
hook for this.

--
Greg