Re: records

Miroslav Silovic <silovic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:

> Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:
>
> > The problem is that you can't extend display and + to accept new
> > types unless you switch to polymorphism.
>
> In fact, in CLOS, you can. So... what is your point?

It may be true that CLOS was a good system 20 years ago but today
I don't think that anyone would be comfortable with it.

Also I am thinking about the old first class variable interface used
by guile and why module lookup was slow.  There must be some reason
why for example environments were designed in a object oriented fashion
(polymorphic, not generic like the rest of guile :>).

I just think that you must choose the right (TM) abstractions first and
build the rest of the system on top of them.

A record interface on top of GOOPS?  Why not.  I haven't red any
documentation about GOOPS so that I can't say anything about it.

But I do know how CLOS handles OO and I am definitely sure that CLOS
would be the wrong way (TM). :)

Jost