Re: The taming of the before-gc-hook (was Re: Upcoming 1.3.2 release)

Greg Harvey <Greg.Harvey@thezone.net> writes:

 > hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:
 >
 > > Why is a C function on scm_before_gc_hook any safer than a Scheme
 > > function? The C function can just as easily call guile functions
 > > which require space to be grabbed.
 >
 > Yes, but the c function isn't going to use any allocation unless you
 > tell it to (assuming that the evaluator won't do any consing, for the
 > (whatever)subr0(whatever) types ); you can't make the same guarantee
 > about a scheme function.

If the evaluator doesn't do any consing then the same scheme fcns are
as safe from Scheme as they are from C.  I don't see why saying "You
can only use the following fcns in the scm_before_gc_hook" is any
better for C code than for Scheme code.  So, I don't see why it'd be
considered OK to supply a C hook but not a Scheme hook.

--
Harvey J. Stein
Bloomberg LP