Re: "environment" unsuitable name for top-level environment

Jost Boekemeier <jostobfe@calvados.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE> writes:

> Keith Wright <kwright@tiac.net> writes:
>
> > I am assuming that top-level environments, local environments,
>                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That's the problem.  A local environment is *not* an environment.

Hmm...  from R5RS:

"The set of all visible bindings in effect at some point in a program
 is known as the environment in effect at that point."

(There are more examples to pick from.)

This is always represented by the data type I want to call
`environment' (the one corresponding to the env argument of eval) but
only in some cases (top-level position) represented by the data type
of Jim's proposal.

> Either the local- or the top-level environments need a new name.

Yes.

> I prefer calling local environment frames either env-frame or
> env.

env-frame is unsuitable since it refers only to a component of the
environment.

I prefer `environment' since that's what it's called in R5RS and in
other Scheme implementations (e.g. SCM, and, if I remember correctly,
MIT Scheme).